Monday, December 15, 2008

2009



It’s the 15th of December and I thought now would be a good time to think (or start thinking) of new years’ resolutions. Last year I had taken a hiatus from resolving anything except to remember the idea that I could resolve to do anything any time of the year. This thinking probably stems from the fact that I procrastinated and I had no idea what I should resolve to do until after the year had already started. So maybe my first should be to not procrastinate?

Nah.

I’ll deal with that one later.


Resolutions lack the required preparation: Resolutions are usually made while thinking about what you would like to change, but forgetting to think about how you are going to go about that change.
Making changes requires preparation, work, patience, stamina and discipline to succeed. If you don't conduct the initial research and preparations on how you are going to make the resolution succeed, there is a very good chance you'll never achieve it. Most New Year's resolutions are simply statements or wishes made without any planning.“

That said, lets plan!

I’ve stolen the below resolutions. I like them because they aren’t your typical “lose-weight-save-money-be-nicer-to-your-family” resolutions. And while I’m at it, why don’t I change the word “resolution” to “reminder”?

These are my New Years' Reminders:

1. To feel grateful for what I have, to appreciate my blessings, instead of punishing myself by focusing on lack (physically, mentally, spiritually or materialistically)


2. To feel grateful for my present challenges, which give me the opportunity to grow into my greater potential to handle them. (Which is another way of saying “Embrace It”!)

3. Eat well, exercise sufficiently, get enough rest because when I feel my best, I do my best, and that produces the best results. (Don’t give up what you want most, for what you want at the moment! I really like this quote apparently)

4. Maintain neat, clean orderly environments because a cluttered space generates frustration and opposition. (A cluttered desk equals a cluttered mind. -Albert Einstein)

5. Remain vigilant of how I THINK about my situation, based on my understanding that I bring about what I think about. (Positive thinking)

Extra credit: I will review these resolutions regularly, post them where I can see them, and remain committed to putting them into practice little-by-little, day by day.

It took a fair amount of restraint to keep from mocking the whole idea of resolutions. I believe in the betterment of our selves but I don't necessarily agree with jumping on the once-a-year bandwagon of setting oneself up for failure....


Gotta love Calvin.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Well said. I was never one to really set resolutions but to have goals that you strive for year after year and not just for the month of January.

Stay focused on the big picture and you will succeed.

M-Dot said...

Nice, great reminders.

Merry Christmas

M & J