Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday Runday


I came up with this clever (or so I thought) name for my runs on Sundays...

SUNDAY RUNDAY.

Very original, I know.


I realized yesterday that sidewalks and shoulders are hard to come by these days. So I drove around for a bit looking for a new, clearer route to shuffle. Aubry L. Parkway from W. Rifle Club Rd to Bowl and Pitcher and back turned out to be the route, and what an awesome run! Sunny, gorgeous and little traffic...with other runners on the road to make it feel like I wasn't alone. Don't get me wrong though. I loved doing this one solo- sometimes you just gotta get out by yourself.


I decided also to try some tricks as suggested by Mike at the last Tri-Fusion meeting. The thoughts went like this:

Ok, shoulders relaxed, check

Where's my foot strike? I dunno, I can't tell. Feels like maybe a mid foot strike?...meh.

Arms at 90 degrees, check! Crap, now my shoulders are tense... ok relax shoulders

How's my torso rotation? Lets keep it to a minimum...oh wow! This makes my arms swing more! weird. Breathing is good!

Head up, slight lean forward...ok that feels silly...lets not do that right now. (it's about this time a car passes at such a slow pace that I begin to feel like a beast in a drive-thru zoo)

Look at my shadow for some sort of inaccurate form evaluation... ick. I look like a glorified speed walker...no wonder they tell you to keep your head up.

Now I know I'm heel striking. I must be getting tired. Arms still good, shoulders tense again (how does that happen?) Relax! Oh ROCK! (that was close)

Mike said something about ponytail bobbing...how the heck do you run without your ponytail bobbing?!! I'll just braid my hair.

Why do my pants always head south?!

stupid shoulders, knees and toes!

hinging a swips, soot triks, ponybobbers showhokddsts BLAH!


How about I just run?


I did.

And it was great.


7 comments:

jessithompson said...

LOL! Maybe just one at a time, love!

Steve said...

LOL. Laughing the whole way through. Like Jessi said, one at a time:)

Tiffany said...

Hilarious! I remember hearing Mike say my ponytail shouldn't bob from side to side when I run...I love your solution of just braiding your hair! Why didn't I think of that? ;)

Matt said...

good saying.. Funny thing is thats where I ran on Sunday too. Its a great run all year long! I hate the pony tail thing, jeez..

M-Dot said...

LOL howling, agreed one thing at a time. If you switch too fast you can end up injured(like us) with noone looking at you to give you advice. One at a time Kiddo;) Love it. Then again running is fun and it's always nice to be out and not listening to the reer of the treadmill.

M&J

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Yep, I'm going to be original and say that was pretty funny. Trying to change your running in one shot would be like trying to make a gymnastics tumbling pass, but a lot less dangerous. For me with my running, I just wanna go fast (like Ricky Bobby).

Matt and Jessie said...

This was seriously funny! I know exactly what you are talking about. You definately cannot do it all at once, I know, I tried. :) One step at a time!