Thursday, June 12, 2008


Upon arriving home yesterday, I was greeted by three decidedly nice-looking guys working for Comcast. After brief hesitation, one asked if I lived in the apartment building. I thought for a moment before speaking because the sarcastic “common sense” in me wanted to shout, “Well, I used my key to get in the door and I’m checking my mail in the mail box…” but all I muttered was a quick, “yes” instead. He then asked if I owned a TV or had Comcast for service. Entertained because I knew my answer would rock this guys’ world, I explained that I did not own a TV. “You don’t?.....wh—why?” was his response. “I guess I’m just simple like that.” I said. Another piped in, “Well the surely you have a computer, then?” “No” (I’m giggling inside now) “You don’t?! Then I assume you don’t have a land-line phone either?” asked the third. “Nope, sorry!” (I giggled on the outside this time). By then, I was rounding the corner to head up to my apartment. I could hear them speaking in a baffled tone to each other before expressing frustrations with the inability to speak with anyone in the building that could benefit from them.

While I someday plan on joining the rest of creation in owning a TV and/or a computer, I smile now because I’m proud to say I have yet to be consumed by the hype. Having a computer at work makes it easy to think this way and it makes for some interesting conversations with folks that cannot fathom a world without TV/PC's.

GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!

5 comments:

jessithompson said...

I appreciate your perspective... although I'm one that could live without TV, never the computer. You go girl!

Ali Ty Stitt said...

Why get a TV and computer when you have ours? :)

Steve said...

Simplicity. Gotta love it. I still use bunny ears and the only reason I have a land line is so I dont go over on my cellphone minutes. Who has time anyways with all this training.

Matt said...

Right on! I actually have a TV I am trying to give away...peer pressure...... See you this weekend, your gonna rock that Oly!

Michael W. Bergquist said...

I like that you don't have a computer or TV. I don't have a cell phone, but that's not even in the same category. Anyway, good story ... as usual.